Monday, January 10, 2011
Bacon and ....
6 wax potatos (small)
1 butternut squash
1 head of kale
3 slices of bacon
4 tablespoons olive oil (get the good kind if you can)
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons vegan butter
Several sprigs of thyme
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Prepare your ingredients: Peel the skin off of your butternut squash using a carrot peeler, dice into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside; slice your potatoes about 1 centimeter thick and set aside; slice your bacon into 1/3 inch slices; wash and chop your kale into 1 inch slices and set aside.
2. Heat a pan on medium high and throw your bacon in to cook until it gets crispy.
3. Add your potatoes along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and brown. Add chicken stock and turn heat down to medium. Place lid on pan and let cook on medium for 10 minutes.
4. While potatoes are cooking, add vegan butter to a separate pan and turn stove to medium high. Once butter is hot, add the butternut squash and brown while slowly adding in the brown sugar to help it caremlize.
5. Add the thyme to the butternut squash when they are almost at the end of their cooking time (10-15 minutes - you know they are done when they are soft).
6. Add the kale to your potatoes and add a tablespoon more of olive oil, put the lid on and let simmer for 10 minutes (cooking kale until it is tender).
7. Once kale is almost done, add shredded cheese to top of the kale/potato dish and put the lid on for a couple of minutes until cheese melts.
8. Serve kale/potato dish in a deep bowl, add butternut squash on top with fresh cracked pepper
Posted by foodsnobdc at 10:27 AM